HAPPY SHOPPER #20: JORDAN GAUNCE
Santa Monica based Jory Gaunce is doing what he says he does when we meet at his garage studio, "Painting, painting, painting." His work was part of SMMoA's most recent Incognito event and now (even as he paints) he's looking for a new gallery to represent his work. He's hung up on, and makes it clear that when discussing his work - offering as it does to a cursory glance, a machine manufactured look only yielding upon closer inspection the fine and unique perfectly-imperfect detail - that it would not be unreasonable to invoke the Japanese ceramic tradition, "The brush strokes or the interrupted line, these are my chance cracks in an otherwise perfectly planned glaze." Man mimicking machine art? We would shop for it.
1) What was the last electrical appliance you bought?
My Xbox 360
2) How many shoes do you own?
7 pairs and 1 pair of sandals, I do live in Venice beach after all.
3) Thinking about only what you are wearing now and including
your watch, jewellery and glasses if you wear them, how much would it
cost me to get dressed up just like you? And where would I have to go
to get the look?
Perry Ellis chones (I just woke up), 14 bucks Ross. $9 Gym membership for that ripped body look. Only so the Perry Ellis underwear looks great on my hot bod. I don't go to the gym, I am too lazy but once I moved to California I quickly realized you need a Driver License and a Gym card to live there.
4) What are you going to be eating for dinner tonight?
I am going to roast a chicken. I really enjoy cooking but I have not decided on the side dishes yet, but 2 veg for sure.
5) What is the most amount you have ever spent on a bottle of wine or other alcoholic beverage and when and where was it?
2 buck chuck is what I think they call it. I was thinking about buying a bottle of beer for $200.00. It's called Sam Adams Utopias, I'd drink a two hundred dollar beer. Don't think that I am crazy - look up the Utopias and you will see why.
6) What and where is your favourite shop?
Ooh, that is a good question. I don't really shop that much, yet I've got to say I have two. The first one for sure is the Dick Blick art store, Love that store. Dick Blick is my Home Depot. And I love Gamestop or EB Games. because I really love my Xbox 360 and have to feed it constantly.
7) How do you get around town?
I love it when my girlfriend drives, so mainly, I try to get around in her BMW. When I am flying solo, my favorite car, is my 86 Corolla, a vintage Corolla year. I bought it from my grandfather. I have been told it's great for drifting.
8) Where is your favourite place to holiday?
'Horizon' above courtesy of the artist.
See more of Jordan's work on his website, here
CULTURE BUNKER ARCHIVE
- At Witz End
- Fast Food From The Moon
- The Kids Hate Dirty Projectors
- Our Band Could Be Your Business Model
- What do you call a bloodsucking fiend in the daytime?
- Five Great Love Songs of 2009 (so far)
- White - Welcome to the Real World
- The Jesus Record, the Hail Mary, and the Arc of the Covenant
- Speed of Thought: A Chat with Speed Levitch
- Lou: Velvet Underground