INSIDE OUTSIDER GIRLS
The Chamber of Pop Culture, London's premier transgressive venue, played host for the last month to The Impossible World of Stu Mead, a typically brave selection of the Iowa-born Mead's magnificently offensive story-telling paintings, drawings, and prints.
Berlin resident Mead's domain is that of mid-teens girls - regular girls or outsider girls - wandering through an outwardly American landscape, busy going through rites of passage and a few other passages as well. Mostly it's like The Four Marys on Speed. The work is amusing but it'd mean nothing if it were merely entertaining. It's not for the faint-hearted or the squeamish; a sharp edge gives it a provocative legitimacy.
Ghazi Baraka, writing in Apocalypse Culture 2, said: 'In many ways Mead's work has become increasingly offensive in recent years the sort only found in dark corners of porn stores... slides of his work were once handed over to the police by a photo development store in Minneapolis. A few weeks later, a police officer stopped by Mead's house to inform him that what he was drawing was legal, but that the matter was being looked into by cops specializing in vice and child abuse. Mead was forced to hire a lawyer, who discovered the cops were merely harassing him due to the subject matter of his work.'
Mead comes to life and sex with what seems to be an open heart and a healthy attitude. At first glance many of his images seem unambitious or lacking in depth but they repay closer examination because there is invariably a complete and satisfying narrative contained within each frame.
- The Greatest
- Chris Connolly: Holiday Wish List
- Watching A Brief History of John Baldessari
- Donny Ducote: My Christmas Wish List is Ancient History now
- Wayne Wolfson's (by his own admission) almost, sorta, borderline in parts new agey-ish Christmas Wish List...
- Tav Falco's Christmas Stocking Stuffer Wish List
- Joe Ambrose's Beat Hotel! FINAL ACADEMY / 2012
- Queens of the Underground - The Rolling Stones
- everything depends upon how near you stand to me...
- Final Academy
- Hats Off to Larry
- Mariel Roberts, Nonextraneous Sounds
- The Man With The Fat Face
- The German Monks
- Household Gods
- Who d'you think you are, Ronan Crinion?
- Shabazz Palaces - Alive
- Bob Dylan in Tangier
- The Boat That Guy Built
- Drained by the Dish Doctor
- A Public Service Announcement on Behalf of the Mountain Goats
- Radio Mania: File Under Section 15
- Gun Upon the Piano: Satie & Cocteau
- Talking About Dan Breen
- Mad Machines: J.K Huysmans & Raymond Roussel
- Tangled Foilage and Dusky Air: Ariosto & Vivaldi's Orlando Furioso
- Tav Falco in Your Town