Paris based street artist Space Invader has been placing mosaic tile versions of old computer game images on the streets of the world for the last ten years. Most recently he has been using Rubik Cubes in sculptural work and is the founder and probable sole member of the Rubikcubist movement. His work can be found in the streets and the galleries of the world. He is included in the new exhibition Spank The Monkey at the Baltic Centre Gateshead which opens this week. We present our latest Happy Shopper - Space Invader
1) What was the last electrical appliance you bought?
A digital sony voice recorder which displayed "error access" and did not work anymore two days after I bought it !
2) How many shoes do you own?
Since I produce my own sneakers, I got thousands of sneakers at home! They have been the only shoes I have worn for 3 years
3) Thinking about only what you are wearing now and including your watch, jewellery and glasses if you wear them, how much would it cost me to get dressed up just like you? And where would I have to go to get the look
I'm wearing my R_invader sneakers, a blank green TS, and a regular pair of jeans.I guess you can go anywhere to have this look for less than 150 euros.
4) What are you going to be eating for dinner tonight?
It depends on what there is left in my fridge.
5) What is the most amount you have ever spent on a bottle of wine or other alcoholic beverage and when and where was it?
I bought a bottle of absynthe this summer in south of France for 50 euros.
6) What and where is your favourite shop?
I think I spend much more time on ebay that in any other shop. Tokyu hands in Tokyo is pretty cool too.
7) How do you get around town?
I ride my scooter, but it is so stickered that it is more an artwork than a scooter..
8) Where is your favourite place to holiday?
Since I'm working on the "space invasion" project I don't know what "holidays" means because anywhere I go, I can't resist bringing tiles and cement with me...