Way back when, we described the Real Tuesday Weld as sounding like Serge Gainsbourg at the end of the pier... They call their music "antique beat". It is an exquisite blend of the modern and the ancient that seamlessly mixes quaint Englishness with louche continental charm. Live they are an innovative theatrical spectacle using samples, live instruments, props and projections. When I read Little Nemo in Slumberland I often imagine The Real Tuesday Weld are playing just out of frame. Stephen Coates, the instigator of the Weld world is our latest Happy Shopper.
1) What was the last electrical appliance you bought?
A sonic mouse repellent. It emits a high frequency sound which is supposed to make them feel terror and leave but it's so high that I can't tell if it works
2) How many shoes do you own?
Eight pairs of shoes, three pairs of boots, one pair of slippers, one pair of converse
3) Thinking about only what you are wearing now and including your watch, jewellery and glasses if you wear them, how much would it cost me to get dressed up just like you? And where would I have to go to get the look?
Suit - pret a porter from Sherrys £350, shoes - second hand from Cornucopia £40, watch - present from my girl (hopefully £200, possibly £25), ring £450, Sundries £3.50
4) What are you going to be eating for dinner tonight?
Yesterday's left overs with salad and a Toblerone later.
5) What is the most amount you have ever spent on a bottle of wine or other alcoholic beverage and when and where was it?
Single drink - probably £15.00 for a vodka martini in the Cafe Royale, bottle of 10 year Talisker - £45
6) What and where is your favourite shop?
Obscura. A curio shop - I got a pair of 1920s green glass snow glasses there a few years ago. They often have amazing old medical items, taxidermy, slides. 280 E10th Street New York
7) How do you get around town?
Mainly bike but I drive a camper van for errands and trips out
8) Where is your favourite place to holiday?
Orkney and NewYork
Check out The Real Tuesday Weld website for details of their new recordings and to watch some splendid videos.