1. Nintendo’s upcoming Legend of Zelda for the Gamecube will be regarded as the best in the series since the first one. Between this and the still-in-development “Mario 128,” 2005 is shaping up as Nintendo’s “fire all your guns at once” year. Could they be exiting the business in a blaze of glory? Well, probably not. But these two games are going to be great.
2. The Decemberists will follow Modest Mouse to the majors. Their next album will be wildly popular thanks in part to MTV exposure for the boyish good looks of lead singer Colin Meloy.
3. Will Ferrell will see his first post-SNL commercial flop with Bewitched. People are tired of Nicole Kidman, and even more tired of TV shows turning into movies.
4. For its series finale in 2008, The Simpsons will bring back former staff writer Conan O’Brien. 20 seasons. Mark it.
5. Call me crazy, but I like the Suns to win the NBA title. I know all about how they don’t play defense as well as the Spurs, Pistons or Heat, but they score so much it simply won’t matter.
Outsideleft exists on a precarious no budget budget. We are interested in hearing from deep and deeper pocket types willing to underwrite our cultural vulture activity. We're not so interested in plastering your product all over our stories, but something more subtle and dignified for all parties concerned. Contact us and let's talk. [HELP OUTSIDELEFT]
If Outsideleft had arms they would always be wide open and welcoming to new writers and new ideas. If you've got something to say, something a small dank corner of the world needs to know about, a poem to publish, a book review, a short story, if you love music or the arts or anything else, write something about it and send it along. Of course we don't have anything as conformist as a budget here. But we'd love to see what you can do. Write for Outsideleft, do. [SUBMISSIONS FORM HERE]